Find the best places to train Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu near you. We offer a comprehensive database of clubs, gyms, academies and schools in your area. Find the one nearest you and get started today!
Where Did Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Come From?
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a martial art that focuses on grappling and ground fighting. The word ‘Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu’ is a shortened form of the Japanese words ‘Jujutsu’ and ‘Jiu-jitsu’. It was developed in Brazil by the Gracie family, who were originally Japanese immigrants.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu was created in the early 1900s by an immigrant from Japan called Mitsuyo Maeda (also known as Conde Koma). He taught his techniques to Carlos Gracie, who then taught them to his brothers and other students.
Today, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu has become one of the most popular martial arts in the world with an estimated 10 million practitioners worldwide (including children).
What is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a martial art and combat sport that teaches a smaller person how to defend themselves against a larger opponent. It promotes the concept that a smaller, weaker person can successfully defend themselves or another against a bigger, stronger, heavier assailant by using proper technique, leverage, and most notably by applying joint locks and chokeholds to defeat the other person.
The techniques of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu are not limited to self-defense. They can be effectively used in Mixed Martial Arts competitions or in other types of full contact combat where there is no rule against choking or joint locking one’s opponents.
Where Can I Find The Best BJJ Near Me?
BJJ is a martial art that focuses on grappling and submissions. It is a great way to build strength, improve flexibility, and learn self-defense. If you are looking for the best BJJ near me, then here are some gyms that you should check out:
1) Gracie Barra – This is one of the largest gyms in the world with over 100 locations around the globe. They have been teaching Brazilian Jiu Jitsu since 1972 and have produced many champions in competition.
2) The Academy – This gym has been teaching martial arts for over 20 years. They offer classes in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai Kickboxing, Boxing, Wrestling, Judo and more.
3) Team Lloyd Irvin – This gym offers both gi and no-gi Jiu Jitsu. They offer classes in all of the major cities and have been teaching BJJ since 2005.
Steps on Choosing the Best Jiu Jitsu Academy Near You.
Choosing the best jiu jitsu academy near you can be tough. With so many academies out there, it is hard to know which one is the best for you. Here are a few things to consider when looking for the best school near you:
– Size and location: The size of the academy matters because it will affect how many students are studying there. A bigger school might have more students and more instructors, but a smaller school might offer more personalized attention. Location also matters because some people prefer to train close to home or work, while others want to go further away from their homes so they can get better training.
– School culture: Culture is important because it will affect your experience at the academy. Some schools have strict rules while others are more lax. You should also look at how long the school has been open, because older academies might have more experience with training.
– Cost: A well-known academy will be more expensive than a smaller academy that is just getting started. If you are looking for a school to train at on a budget, look for one that is just starting up and offers free classes.